Workshop 1: Introduction to VDSLR filmmaking
Below is a detailed list of things covered in the introductory workshop.
Requirements : For day one a solid grasp of photography.
Day 1: 9:30-19:00. Shooting with a DSLR camera.
Morning: technical overview.
Afternoon: Workflow and exercise shooting a short clip.
- Camera & settings
- Shoulder rig
- Matte box & filters
- Follow Focus
- Screen, viewfinder
Setting up the camera
- Technical aspects (shutter speed, picture profiles, white balance, frame rate, bit rate, aspect ratio, dynamic range, ISO)
Principles of still photography
- Composition, depth and colour
Principles of moving image photography
- 30° rule and jump cuts
- 180° rule
- Direction of action
- Zooming and dollying
Principles of lighting
- 3-point lighting
- Hard/soft, contrast, direction, temperature
- Technical aspects (tungsten vs HMI, filters, light sources, metering, Volts/amps/Watts)
- Finding a visual language: mood pics
- Planning shots: shotlist, storyboard, floorplans
- Exercises for camera
Day 2: 9:30-19:00 Production.
Morning: planning a shoot & working on set.
Afternoon exercise: Shoot a short clip.
Pre-production, Production & Post-production
- Who does what?
Basics of script-writing
- The three-act struture
Preparation for shooting with role allocation
- Principal photography
Day 3: 13:30-19:00. Post-production
We will edit what was shot the previous day using Final Cut Pro.
- Continuity editing and basic colour correction
Costs: CHF 420 for 3 days or CHF 240 for day one only or CHF 320 for days 2&3 only.
People who have participated in one of my previous workshops get a 20% reduction. Student/AHV/underemployed also get reductions.